"Elegy for Souls on Hold"
Community-engaged Memorial Art Project devoted to loss and grief in times of social distance and lack of funeral rituals.
We all might grieve a loss differently. However, isolation and a lack of funeral rituals are even more challenging. I know how it feels. I got trapped in a web of grief and despair without breaks when I missed the funerals of my younger sister, Albita, far away from my family and my hometown. We need the time and social space that funeral rituals give us to accept our loved one is gone and the comfort of family and friends.
I came to offer my Art in my sister's loving memory and your departed loved ones. Inspired by Jorge Manrique's Stanzas on the Death of his Father, I have created Elegy for Souls on Hold, a poetic memorial dedicated to honoring our departed loved ones within a dreamlike river where their souls and ours reconnect through love and memories.
Have you lost a loved one?
You can share your memories and together we'll celebrate your love and your loved one life. You might also participate by filling out the submission form below.
Elegy for Souls on Hold exhibition closed on December 31, 2021. The installation was part of the collective Home(Land) Bodies of Water at the ArtworxTO Hub West and as part of The Day of the Dead Celebration in Wychwood Barns Toronto 2022.
I am thankful to all participants to the project, the ArtwoxTO team and my curator Claudia Arana for their outstanding support and production of the Memorial installation. Also, my squad Omar Rivero (mapping projection), Diego Camacho, Cory Ronald, and Maria McCormick ( the Augmented Reality Application development team)
- If you need grief support please connect with Grief Stories or Bereveament Ontario Network
- See Elegy for Souls on Hold Exhibition images here
- You can find more about me here
- Follow the project @soulsonhold at Instagram and Facebook.
- About ©Souls on Hold Augmented Reality app here
- Contact me via Whatsapp or email me is you need help.
If you are ready to share your loved one's memories, please follow these steps to fill out a submission form below.
- Step 1: Choose a portrait of your loved one in JPG format
- Step 2: Pick up to 12 photos to support your loved ones' life story( you have to upload a minimum of 4 photos)
- Step 3: Would you please write down or record a eulogy, short letter or poem to display within your loved one video?
- Step 4: Fill out the Participant Submission Form below with all this material and submit it. You will receive a confirmation email.