"Elegy for Souls on Hold"
It is a Memorial Art Project devoted to loss and grief in the social distance and lack of funeral rites' times.
Every person might cope with grief differently, yet we all feel pain and yearn for our loved ones.
In isolation, the lack of funeral rituals around grieving makes it even more challenging to cope and find closure. I know how it feels. I missed the funerals of my sister Albita, and two uncles, back in Venezuela. For a long while, I got trapped in a web of sorrow and despair without breaks.
In the loving memory of our missed loved ones, I am developing the memorial artwork, "Elegy for Souls on Hold," an immersive multimedia installation using photography, mapping projection, sound and augmented reality to showcase the portraits and celebration of the life of our loved ones.
The art installation for a gallery setting aims to deliver a meaningful tribute that will endure in grievers' memories and viewers while exposing the most tragic part of the pandemic: dying and mourning in isolation.
"Elegy for Souls on Hold" would not be possible without you and much appreciated participants who have entrusted me with the stories and memories of their missing loved ones.
The exhibition "Elegy for Souls on Hold" will run from September 22 to December 30, 2021 at Cloverdale Commons as part of ArtworxTO , Toronto's Year of the Public Art program 2021-2022 I am grateful for their significative support to make it happens
You and your missed loved ones are the core of this memorial. Let's work together on this love offering by sharing you're loving memories. You will find sketch of the project. Related information and submission format below.
- You can find more about me here ( Mirna Chacin)
- Contact me via Whatsapp or email
- About ArtworxTO program, here
- Watch my presentation about the project in Sur Gallery here
- Follow the project @soulsonhold at Instagram and Facebook
- If you need grief support connect with Grief Stories
- Souls on Hold Mobile AR app here
You will need to share photos and memories of your missed loved one.
Your participation is completely voluntary and free of charge.
If you are ready to share your loved one's memories, please follow these steps to fill out a submission form below.
- Step 1: Choose a portrait of your loved one in JPG format
- Step 2: Pick 4 to 6 JPG photos to support your loved ones' life story
- Step 3: Record your eulogy or memory you would like to share using your smartphone, computer or directly within the submission form
- Step 4: Fill out the Participant Submission Form below with all this material and submit it. You will receive a confirmation email.